Search

Google

Sunday 6 April 2008

Texting while driving is risky, say UAE residents

Texting while driving is risky, say UAE residents
Staff Reporters, Mariam M. Al Serkal, Dina El Shammaa, Fuad Ali GULF NEWS Published: April 06, 2008, 00:31


Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Fujairah: Free dinners, free concert tickets, or free health spas - what kinds of competitions distract you from driving?

The majority of motorists have dedicated themselves to listening to their favourite radio station while commuting, and cannot help but hear the alluring offers that demand them to send a text message via their cell phones.

Can motorists continue to focus their senses completely on the task of driving despite the airwaves alluring them into attractive promotions?

City Talk took to the streets and asked residents whether they have ever sent text messages to radio competitions while driving, if they think it is a hazard to do so, and should sending text messages while driving become an offence?

Investigator Barbara Radwan-Wiehe, from the United States, said: "I am technologically inept so texting through my cell phone is something I rarely do, I am old school. However I definitely think using your phone while driving affects your concentration span and ability to watch the road. I try not to use my phone while driving because even if you are careful, other drivers next to you may not be.

"There should be strict regulations to prohibit cell [phone] usage during driving."

Hadeel Mohammad, a 23-year-old student from Iraq, said: "Even though I don't participate in radio competitions I usually send text messages while driving because once I receive a message I don't want to keep the other person waiting. I've never been involved in an accident while sending text messages, but I know that it's dangerous to do so.

"I think a rule should be implemented so that motorists will be fined when caught using their mobile phone."

Ali Khalil Qasim, 26, Egyptian airline staff, said: "I have noticed there are often listeners of radio shows who send text messages and call the shows while they are on the road and I often ask myself how safe is that?

"A lot of concentration is required on the road and it is highly irresponsible to engage in texting while driving. "Sometimes if the car is stuck in traffic and you're stationary then maybe it is safe to use the phone, but still, it will take your mind off the road and other drivers around you."

Ebrahim Mohammad Quwayes, 26, car rental agent from Egypt, said: "I have never considered texting while driving because I know how dangerous it is. It's hard enough to drive and talk on the phone because your concentration on the road is compromised, but texting actually takes your eyes off the road, which is seriously dangerous to all road users.

"I think it's highly irresponsible for radio presenters to invite and read out comments from drivers without pointing out basic safety reminders as a reminder to all road users."

Fadi Ganem, a manager from Lebanon, 32, said: "I used to send text messages and [narrowly] escaped many accidents. That's why I have stopped. Now when I see others driving and playing with their [cell phones] I get really mad because they do silly mistakes on the road.

"There used to be a strong campaign against motorists using their [cell phones] but now it's not as important anymore, and police are not doing anything. The campaign against mobile phones should be re-introduced."

Eyad Nasim, a Jordanian manager, 40, said: "It is inconsiderate to send text messages while driving, but when you're stuck in traffic for 45 minutes to an hour then you can afford to do it.

"I don't reply to competitions, and the only time I send messages is when they are work related or if someone wants to know where I am.

"I don't think there should be a heavy fine against motorists using their cell phones, but it should be implemented on an accelerating basis. So every time you get caught, you will have to pay a higher fine."

Hamdan Mohammad Al Mulla, an Emirati executive manager, 22, said: "I think radio stations should take some responsibilities in this matter.

"After all, it is they who encourage listeners to call or text them. Using the phone in any capacity while driving is very dangerous for both the driver and other motorists, and young drivers in particular need reminding of that.

"Radio stations should always remind listeners on the road not to communicate with them while they are driving.

"With every invite to participate in a programme, a warning about safe road practice should be made out advising drivers to pull-over if they want to take part."

Abdul Kader, 45, an Indian supervisor in an automobile workshop, said: "I have never used my phone while driving, it's very dangerous.

"How can you possibly concentrate while using your cell phone or sending a text message?

"I believe people should be advised on an individual basis. I personally advise people not to use their phones at all while driving. It's just too risky and keeps you unfocused on the road."

Electrical engineer Enas Khalid, Egypt, 33, said: "I am all about safety while driving. I have two children, a one-year-old and the other is four, and I make sure they sit in the back seat of the car every time.

"It is impossible to use a [cell phone] or text while driving. I believe day dreaming in general while driving is dangerous and think strict laws to prohibit cell phones while driving in general should be implemented."

No comments:

Team 1 Dubai : Your e-Home for TQM & Positive Thinking Headline Animator